Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-Fry
This Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-Fry recipe is a simple yet classic dish in Chinese cuisine.
The best time to enjoy this dish is between February and June, but the prime time is during April. Asparagus is the freshest during April.
Asparagus is considered a good source of vitamin K, antioxidants, and thiamine. Asparagus is also low in calories, as you only need three spears to get 1 gram of fibre for only 9 calories!
So what makes this Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-Fry recipe a stir-fry?
It’s a no brainer. It’s the cooking technique used!
The definition of “stir-frying” is frying a combination of ingredients rapidly over high heat while stirring briskly. This technique originated in China and in recent centuries has spread throughout the world.
Generally, stir-fry recipes are considered as healthy as quickly cooking the ingredients at high heat retains colour, texture, and nutritional value.
Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-Fry Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch knob of ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Clean and peel the shrimp. Then using a toothpick, devein them.
- Peel the cloves of garlic and mince. Do the same with the ginger.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add the shrimp to the pan and season with ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper. Cook until the shrimp is pink. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and add asparagus.
- Add ginger and garlic, then season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir frequently and cook until the asparagus is tender-crisp.
- Return the shrimp to the pan, then add soy sauce. Stir until the ingredients are well combined. Just before the dish is ready, add lemon juice, stir once more, then serve while hot.
- Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-fry is best served with rice. Enjoy!